Recipe by **Mandy**
This pie is really yummy, I usually make it in pastry so that it can be frozen but original recipe is with potato topping so that's what I'm posting. From a Family Circle Mince Cookbook
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Most of the time I enjoy my sweet potatoes sweet, but this recipe makes for a tasty pie & one that we found very comforting! I also opted out of the potato topping & used puff pastry for it instead ~ A very nice touch, too, I thought! And in deference to my other half I also left in the mushrooms! This is definitely a keeper recipe for us! [Made & reviewed in Gimme 5 tag]
- 14.79 ml oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 750 g ground chicken
- 750 g sweet potatoes, chopped
- 250 g button mushrooms, chopped
- 354.88 ml chicken stock
- 440 g chopped tomatoes
- 118.29 ml tomato puree or 118.29 ml tomato sauce
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 60 g butter
- 118.29 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and sauté for approx 2 minutes until lightly browned, add mince and cook for about 4 minutes or until well browned breaking up any lumps.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and bring to the boil, reduce heat & simmer for approx 15 minutes until mixture has thickened and sweet potato is tender.
- Spoon mixture into a 24cm pie plate.
- To Make topping: Cook potatoes in rapidly boiling water until tender, approx 10 minutes and then drain.
- Mash potatoes with butter & sour cream until smooth & fluffy.
- Spread topping over chicken filling evenly.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes until heated through & lightly browned.