Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from Nita Mehta's Quick Cooking
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2in cubes
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 -2 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Mix cream with cream cheese well so that there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth, set aside.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 tbs butter in a pan, add onion and cook until browned.
- Add the mushrooms and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and onions from pan.
- To the same pan, add 1 tbs butter, add garlic and chicken and stir fry on med heat for 4-5 mins til golden brown.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes til chicken is tender.
- Add ketchup and mustard, mix well for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and mix for a few seconds.
- Take pan off of heat, let cool for 1 minute.
- Add cream mixture, stirring with the other hand continuously, mix well.
- Return pan to heat, add chopped pepper.
- Keep on low heat for about 1 minute and remove just before it starts to boil.
I prepared this exactly as written, and we didn't really like it at all. The mustard and ketchup flavor does not go with the cream cheese well.
I made this just a bit different. I halved the recipe and cooked the onions, green pepper, mushrooms, and chicken together in the butter (which I added a bit of olive oil to to prevent burning the butter). I then proceeded with step #8 and finished up as directed. This dish has a unique flavor to it with the ketchup and mustard (which I assume meant wet mustard as opposed to dry/ground mustard) and it was very good. I served it over buttered egg noodles.