1/1 Photo of Chicken Stew
Taken from Food Network's Giada De Laurentiis from the show "Everyday Italian."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (with skin)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (rinsed if not organic)
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy 5 1/2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot, and onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the chicken breasts; press to submerge.
- 2Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced into a stew consistency, about 10 minutes.
- 3Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Shred or cut the chicken into bite- size pieces. Return the chicken meat to the stew. Bring the stew just to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 4Ladle the stew into serving bowls and serve with the bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.3
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 515.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 44.6 g