Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
The success of this soup will depend on the quality of your chicken broth so use the best! Frozen spinach can be used in place of fresh.
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, packed (stems removed and rinced)
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 cups cooked small shell pasta (or use cooked rice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional and to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For meatballs; in a large bowl combine all meatball ingredients together; mix using clean hands.
- Shape into 3/4-inch balls and place on a plate.
- In a large pot heat the chicken broth until a medium boil; stir in spinach, diced carrots and meatballs; return to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally over medium-low heat for about 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and the diced carrots are tender.
- Add in cooked pasta or rice and heat through.
- Season with black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
This was just okay. Kind of bland and missing something. Also traditional Italian Wedding soup has Acini di Pepe pasta in it. I did not like it with the rice in it at all. It was an okay soup I am just in search for an authentic Italian Wedding soup like my Grandmother made. Thanks for sharing though!