1/1 Photo of Chicken Soup from the Heart
2 hrs 30 mins
A relatively easy dish to create, perfect for a cold winter day, or just a big bowl for the kids. In my house, apart from having this every Shabbat, it's also the Jewish Penicillin we rely on. From my house to yours, with love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken pieces (combination ofnecks, thighs, and drumsticks, with skin)
- 3 large carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 celery ribs, cut into fifths
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 bunch dill, wrapped tightly with any string (I use floss, works great, and never falls apart in the water)
- 1/2 cup instant chicken-style consomme soup and seasoning mix (by Osem, do not substitute)
- 1Fill large soup pot with cold water.
- 2Add cleaned chicken pieces, peeled, whole yellow onion, and dill.
- 3Cook on stovetop on a high heat until water just starts to boil.
- 4Reduce heat to simmer, but do not cover the pot.
- 5The chicken will bring up it's brown foam, remove it as it comes up. You may add more preboiled water to the pot if the amount of water in the pot has been reduced to 3/4, but not more than once.
- 6After 1.5 hours of simmering, raise the heat to medium and add the carrots and salt.
- 7Slowly add 1/2 cup of Osem Consomme seasoning mix and stir through, to make sure that no seasoning mix is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- 8Reduce heat back to simmer and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- 9Add the celery and cook for 5-10 minutes more, until the celery is no longer firm, but not yet tender (it will continue to cook even when the heat is turned off).
- 10Remove from heat, and cover pot. Let stand 15-20 minutes, until celery just tender.
- 11Remove all chicken, carrots, onion, dill, and celery from soup and place in separate container.
- 12Transfer soup from the pot through the cheesecloth to a different pot, or container of your choice. Do this slowly, as the soup is still hot, ensuring that all the soup pass through the cheesecloth before being transferred to another pot. You may need another couple of hands to help you hold the cheesecloth over the second pot. This is a crucial step of the recipe, because it ensures that your final product is a clear broth. Also, this is a way to trim the fat, and allows the palate to taste the chicken soup rather than the chicken fat.
- 13Discard whatever is left on the cheesecloth.
- 14Serve the broth clear with either a carrot and a celery, or, you may add fine noodles or a kreplach for a perfect Jewish Chicken Soup.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup from the Heart
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.8 mg
- Sodium 42.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant chicken-style consomme soup and seasoning mix