Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Simple ingredients, amazing taste, feel good dish.
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and washed
- 3 stalks celery, washed
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of crushed oregano leaves
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 cup vermicelli
- Whether you decide to use the pieces of chicken in the ingredients or a whole chicken with or without skin is a personal choice. More bones and skin add tremendous flavor. If some one has a cold, a bit of chicken fat makes a big difference in making them feel better. If you prefer low fat, stay away from the skin.
- I like to sprinkle salt on my chicken and use it as an abrasive to wash the chicken with under running cold water. I grew up seeing my mom do this with chicken all the time.
- Put the chicken and water in a pot and bring the water to a boil. By then you will see a layer of beige foam forming on the surface of water. Remove the foam with a ladle and discard it. If it stays, the broth will not be clear.
- As soon as you are done with removing the foam, add the onions, salt, and cardamom pods.
- Let the broth boil for 45 minutes, covered, on medium to low heat. Just check it to make sure it is boiling.
- Take the chicken out and cut it into bite-size pieces. If you used chicken with the bone or skin, remove the bone and skin and then cut the chicken into smaller pieces.
- Another thing you need to discard are the cardamom pods.
- Cut the carrots and celery at an angle so they look fancier and add them to the broth. Let them boil for ten minutes and then add the noodles. Boil for another ten minutes. You can use any kind of noodles or paste you like.
- Now add the parsley, black pepper, soy sauce and oregano. Do not forget to put the bite-size chicken pieces back inches Boil a couple more minutes and that's it.