Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very tasty soup. Basil and chicken soup were meant for each other. For an easy change of pace, try the Chicken Pot Pie variation at the bottom!
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 3 boiling potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh basil leaf, finely shredded (for garnish)
- Cook chicken in large pot until done.
- Cool chicken, remove skin and debone.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- De-fat and strain stock.
- Return stock to large pot.
- Add chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper and basil.
- Cook until vegetables are done (15- 20 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water.
- Add to soup to thicken slightly.
- For an easy Chicken Pot Pie: Pour finished soup into large casserole and top with rolled biscuits dipped in butter. (I use Bisquick mix to make it very quick and easy).
- Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes until biscuits are done.
Very good chicken soup. I tried it in a flat casserole dish with biscuits on top and loved it. The basil is nice in chicken soup. This is the second of your recipies I have tried and I have loved them both.
I made a double batch of this... one for my family and one for a friend. My friend's family said that I've spoiled any other chicken soup for her in the future. The basil just adds such a nice touch.