1/2 Photos of Chicken Soup for a Family's Soul
1 hr 10 mins
Very tasty soup. Basil and chicken soup were meant for each other. For an easy change of pace, try the Chicken Pot Pie variation at the bottom!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 3 boiling potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh basil leaf, finely shredded (for garnish)
- 1Cook chicken in large pot until done.
- 2Cool chicken, remove skin and debone.
- 3Cut into bite-size pieces.
- 4De-fat and strain stock.
- 5Return stock to large pot.
- 6Add chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper and basil.
- 7Cook until vegetables are done (15- 20 minutes).
- 8Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water.
- 9Add to soup to thicken slightly.
- 10For an easy Chicken Pot Pie: Pour finished soup into large casserole and top with rolled biscuits dipped in butter. (I use Bisquick mix to make it very quick and easy).
- 11Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes until biscuits are done.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup for a Family's Soul
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 516.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 26.9 g