1 hr 5 mins
Miss ~V~'s Note:
I found this recipe years ago. It's very good. I have also used leg quarters in place of the breasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1 (14 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (add more according to taste)
- 1Mix together the flour, seasoning salt and pepper.
- 2Coat the chicken on both sides.
- 3In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, add chicken and cook about 15 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- 4Remove chicken and set aside.
- 5Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
- 6Stir in the garlic, okra, tomatoes, thyme, parsley and pepper sauce.
- 7Return the chicken to the skillet and spoon sauce over the chicken.
- 8Cover and cook over medium heat until chicken is done - about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Smothered in Okra Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.3
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 593.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 35.1 g