Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Nutritional Information: 135 calories, 1g fat, 15g carbohydrate, 17g protein. I used a soup recipe from a "Taste of Home" publication, and adapted it to use the tofu noodles. Don't be afraid of the tofu noodle...you won't notice the difference! They are made by House Foods America Corporation. Check out their website on where to get this awesome, versatile, low carb product. (www.house-foods.com) I like to eat this with a grilled cheese sandwich for a warm and comforting lunch. Just a note- DO NOT FREEZE this soup. The noodles do not freeze well.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (8 ounce) packages shiritaki noodles (either spaghetti or fettuccini shape works)
- 1 medium rutabaga, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (5 oz)
- 9 ounces carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces celery, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 9 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Parboil tofu noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Spray a large stockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Add celery, carrots, and onion, and sauté until onions are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the broth, rutabaga, salt, thyme, marjoram, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Set aside.
- Spread tofu noodles over a cutting board and cut them into “manageable” soup pieces. I like to go about 1” long. Set aside.
- When the vegetables in the pot are starting to tender, add the noodles and chicken. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Finally, stir in parsley, and heat through.
this was so good. i had a rough time finding the rutabaga...and cutting it...so, i might leave that out next time. i cut down the broth to 7 cups, because i don't like brothy soups (so just enough liquid to cover everything), i left out marjoram, because i didn't have it...and, i forgot the parsley...ooops. still turned out amazing...i'd make this again for sure
I'm a big fan of the shirataki tofu noodles, and was thrilled to find this recipe; I'm planning to make this today, so will update my review after I taste it. One question: I don't see rutabaga listed in the ingredients? I'm assuming I should dice and cook the rutabaga with the other veggies? Will update my review tomorrow.... added note: just saw in the directions that the rutabaga should be added with the broth...more tomorrow. Update a few days later: I love this soup! It's light, yet hearty enough to be satisfying, and the rutabaga gives it a nice peppery bite. Also love the low carb aspect of this recipe. Thanks, Clare, I'll be making this often.