Recipe by greyghost
Another yummy recipe from Giada De Laurentiis - love her show!!! I added minced garlic instead of halved garlic and just left in sauce. Also might not cut chicken next time - looked just as nice.
Top Review by Emily Elizabeth
I absolutely love this recipe! It really makes for a nice presentation for a dinner party when sliced and placed on top of the sauce (posted a photo). I do my slices slightly at an angle. My husband loves the dish and likes a little extra cheese in his.
- 6 (4 1/2-5 1/2 ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded thin
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 sage leaves
- 3 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 -12 toothpicks
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken cutlets on clean work surface with narrow end facing you.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place one sage leaf crosswise on each piece of chicken.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with about 2 TBS. of fontina cheese.
- Roll up chicken and secure with one or two toothpicks.
- Warm olive oil and halved garlic clove in large skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 3 mins per side.
- Remove chicken and remove and discard garlic halves.
- Add wine and simmer for about 2 mins, while scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
- Combine tomatoes and red pepper flakes in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add tomato mixture to reduced wine in pan.
- Simmer for about 5 mins for flavors to marry.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Simmer chicken in tomato sauce for about 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and simmer until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Season tomato sauce with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce onto plates or platter.
- Cut chicken into 1" rounds.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Place chicken over sauce and serve immediately.