1/1 Photo of Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
3 hrs 20 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
I know, another gumbo recipe....This one is from 'Plantation Celebrations', the cookbook I received from the best swap partner ever, Luby, in the latest swap. The addition of the shrimp was my idea. I really liked this recipe because there weren't a lot of spicy spices in it...I like the spiciness but my husband does not. It was easy enough for me to add Tabasco to my own portion while at the table. I used smoked turkey sausage in this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb andouille sausage
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced garlic
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 24 button mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- cracked pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce or hot sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen cooked shrimp
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1*Removeas much fat from the chicken as possible; cut smoked sausage or andouille into half inch slices and set aside.
- 2In a two gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium heat; sprinkle in flour and whisk constantly until a golden brown roux is achieved; DO NOT scorch; if black specks appear, discard it and start again.
- 3Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted; add chicken and sausage, blending well into vegetable mixture; saute approximately fifteen minutes.
- 4Add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all is incorporated; bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately one hour, stirring occasionally and skimming any fat or oil that rises to the top of the pot.
- 5Add mushrooms, green onions, bay leaf, thyme and basil; season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- 6Cook an additional one to two hours if necessary, until chicken is tender and falling apart; add parsley and shrimp; cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until shrimp is hot; adjust seasonings and serve over hot steamed white rice.
- 7Pass additional Tabasco at the table, to taste.
- 8*Youmay want to boil the chicken a couple of hours before beginning the gumbo.
- 9Reserve the stock, debone the chicken and use the meat and the stock in the gumbo.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (656 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1147.7
- Calories from Fat 614
- Total Fat 68.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 246.2 mg
- Sodium 1606.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 62.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: