Recipe by Bergy
Refreshing, tasty Summer salad. Use a light flavor oil so it does not overwhelm the strawberry flavor of the vinaigrette. . Feel free to use your imagination with this salad - add a few fresh strawberries ontop of the salad, perhaps some pecans sprinkled on top. If you have left over cooked chicken save yourself some extra effort use it. If you keep the vinaigrette in the fridge bring it to room temp before using.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
I liked this salad - would probably only make it for special occasions. Like the cook suggested, I used chicken that I already had in my refrigerator. I didn't use the onions as I don't like fresh onion on my salad (I did have it out for others to use) so I subbed cucumber instead. I also added pecans as one of the other reviewers suggested. The dressing was pretty good - I did not add the splenda as it was sweet enough on it's own. Due to the high fat content of the dressing, I'll reserve it for use only on special occasions.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, medium size, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups leaves lettuce, cleaned and torn
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium sweet onion, cleand sliced and rings separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Chicken: Mix the flour, cayenne, salt & Pepper together in a plastic bag.
- Paint the chicken with egg white and dust the breasts with the flour mixture.
- Melt the butter & oil in a skillet, over medium heat fry the chicken until cooked (apprx 8 minutes each side).
- Remove & Cool it. Slice into 1/2" strips.
- Vinaigrette: In a food processor or mini mixer combine the strawberry, Balsamic, tarragon, Splenda & light oil-whip until totally combined. Keep covered in fridge.
- Salad Preparation: Slice the cooled chicken across the breast into pieces apprx 1 1/2" by 1'2".
- Divide the spinach/lettuce mixture between four plates.
- Place the onion rings over the lettuce.
- Sprinkle on the feta cheese.
- Then place the chicken on top.
- Sprinkle on the blueberries.
- Let everyone add as much vinaigrette as they like to their salad.