Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
Refreshing, tasty Summer salad. Use a light flavor oil so it does not overwhelm the strawberry flavor of the vinaigrette. . Feel free to use your imagination with this salad - add a few fresh strawberries ontop of the salad, perhaps some pecans sprinkled on top. If you have left over cooked chicken save yourself some extra effort use it. If you keep the vinaigrette in the fridge bring it to room temp before using.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, medium size, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups leaves lettuce, cleaned and torn
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium sweet onion, cleand sliced and rings separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- Chicken: Mix the flour, cayenne, salt & Pepper together in a plastic bag.
- Paint the chicken with egg white and dust the breasts with the flour mixture.
- Melt the butter & oil in a skillet, over medium heat fry the chicken until cooked (apprx 8 minutes each side).
- Remove & Cool it. Slice into 1/2" strips.
- Vinaigrette: In a food processor or mini mixer combine the strawberry, Balsamic, tarragon, Splenda & light oil-whip until totally combined. Keep covered in fridge.
- Salad Preparation: Slice the cooled chicken across the breast into pieces apprx 1 1/2" by 1'2".
- Divide the spinach/lettuce mixture between four plates.
- Place the onion rings over the lettuce.
- Sprinkle on the feta cheese.
- Then place the chicken on top.
- Sprinkle on the blueberries.
- Let everyone add as much vinaigrette as they like to their salad.
I liked this salad - would probably only make it for special occasions. Like the cook suggested, I used chicken that I already had in my refrigerator. I didn't use the onions as I don't like fresh onion on my salad (I did have it out for others to use) so I subbed cucumber instead. I also added pecans as one of the other reviewers suggested. The dressing was pretty good - I did not add the splenda as it was sweet enough on it's own. Due to the high fat content of the dressing, I'll reserve it for use only on special occasions.
I really enjoyed this tasty salad, I especially loved the flavors and textures. The moist tender chicken, crisp mixed greens, salty greek feta and sweet vidalia onion, sweet blueberries & strawberries and salty pecans. The dressing was incredible I used the fresh strawberries option. The only variation from your recipe was that I only used 1 onion. Good Luck to you in the Contest Chef.
This made a nice lunch for a hot summer afternoon. I made the dressing ahead and put it in the refrigerator. After it had chilled it was quite thick. I think it would have been better before chilling. The amount of onion was to much for my taste and I ended up using only a couple of thin slices per salad. The addition of strawberries and pecans really makes this extra special and would have been great included in the ingredients list. Good luck in RSC #12.