Recipe by mrspotter
Looking for a subtly seasoned, special occasion tea sandwich? I think you'll find this one will be a popular addition to your cold tray offerings. I have confidently served this at bridal showers and and family parties with many a request for this simple but tasty recipe.
Top Review by Stir crazy
This recipe deserves 5 stars! Ingredients I had to substitute were cooked rotisserie chicken, dried tarragon, and adding the chopped smoked almonds into the spread. AND .. I added some diced Golden Delicious Apple. Didn't measure any of the ingredients .. just tossed in what looked reasonable. This spread was delicious! My husband ate all the leftovers the same day! Thanks for posting this recipe MrsPotter.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, cut in half, skin on
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
- 24 slices of crustless white bread, thin slices or 12 halved croissants
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped smoked almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth or water to a boil in a large skillet and add chicken breasts.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and poach chicken, turning once, for about 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and leave chicken in broth as it cools for about 20 minutes.
- Discard the skin and finely shred the chicken into a bowl.
- Stir together chicken, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, shallot, tarragon, and seasoning to taste.
- Make 12 sandwiches with chicken salad and bread, pressing together gently. With a 2-inch round cutter, cut 2 rounds from each sandwich.
- Spread edges of rounds with remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise to coat well and then roll the edges in the chopped almonds.
- If you decide to use croissants you may prefer to add the chopped almonds directly to the chicken mixture.
- These sandwiches may be made 2 hours ahead, wrapped, and chilled.