Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I lived in Utica, NY where they are known for this dish, however I think this recipe surpasses the traditional. I use hot cherry peppers but alternatively you can use sweet or sweet & hot peppers. Great as leftovers.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 cups chicken, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cherry peppers, Hot, reserve 1/4 cup cherry peppers juice
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- Add butter and olive oil to frying pan.
- Saute garlic and onions until onions are see through.
- Add chicken and saute.
- Add wine, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, basil and pepper juice.
- Remove stems, cut peppers and add to sauce. (I usually cut my peppers into fourths.).
- Simmer for a hour. (The longer the simmer the spicier the dish).
- Near meal time cook rigatoni based on box directions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to sauce.