Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Just made it up because I was too lazy to use the pans to make 2 separate things. It actually came out well so I figured I'd post it. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups rice (medium or long grain)
- 2 lbs chicken parts (I use 6 chicken thighs)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, heated to almost a simmer
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, peeled,seeded,chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2-1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon powdered saffron or 10 saffron strands, crushed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat the chicken stock with the paprika and saffron.
- You can do this in the microwave or on stove top, your choice.
- Just get it hot, not enough to simmer, but enough that steam emits.
- Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 casserole and bake for 25 minutes (This gives me time to chop everything up).
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the onions and peppers until the onions are either very tender or slightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- By now the 25 minutes should have passed.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Let the pan cool for about 5 minutes, do not remove any of the fat, and don't turn the oven off!
- Add the rice mixture as well as the peas, tomato, and the chicken stock mixture.
- Stir once to evenly distribute.
- Place the chicken gently on top of the mixture.
- Cover and bake about 25 minutes.
- Don't be messing with the rice before that time.
- After, you can sneak a peek to make sure it's done.