Recipe by mollypaul
A tasty soup from a cookbook called "Lean and Lovin' It". Cut down on the white pepper and cayenne for a less spicy soup.
Top Review by Dizzyfreedom
Delicious. I saute'd onion, one carrot, one large celery & 3 cloves of minced garlic in olive oil. Then added 8 cups of water and 2 chicken thighs because broth has sodium and we can't use it. I also added 1/4 cup of barley [instedad of rice] and 1/2 cup of yellow split peas because we need the fiber. Everything else we did as instructed and it was yummy! Thank you!
- 6 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice (regular long grain white rice will also work)
- 1⁄3 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 slices lemons
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken, chopped (may also use cooked turkey)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add onions and rice.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add cabbage and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and lemon slices to the broth/rice.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, parsley, salt, white pepper and cayenne.
- Simmer until the chicken is heated.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Return soup to a simmer.
- Serve hot.