Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
for RSC #5, this is a recipe that i adapted to use contest ingredients- worked for us. hope you enjoy.
- 1 lb linguine or 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, divided, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, to taste
- 6 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, stems discarded, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron (i use 2 generous pinches of crumbled saffron threads or sub with tumeric but you won't get the same)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil and garlic, etc. drained or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil or 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonaded
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 -3 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking linguine.
- cut chicken breasts into strips.
- In a bowl toss chicken with 1 teaspoon oil, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over moderately high heat and saute in 2 batches until lightly browned and cooked through, stirring, for 5 minutes on each side, transferring as cooked to a plate.
- To skillet add wine and boil until most is evaporated.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, onion, garlic,mushrooms, remaining 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and mushroom liquid is gone.
- In a bowl whisk together tomato paste, chicken broth and lemon zest.
- add to skillet along with the red pepper.
- Simmer mixture, covered, 5 minutes.
- add tomatoes, lemon juice, and simmer5 minutes - add lemon juice and spinach, bail, and parsley.
- simmer until spinach is wilted, 2 minutes.
- add capers if desired.
- In a very small bowl combine hot water and saffron.
- cook the linguine until al dente.
- Drain linguineand return to the pot.
- Toss linguine with saffron mixture until evenly coated and keep warm.
- divide the pasta onto 4-6 plates, top with chicken ragu, garnish with basil and parsley leaves,.