for RSC #5, this is a recipe that i adapted to use contest ingredients- worked for us. hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb linguine or 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, divided, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, to taste
- 6 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, stems discarded, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (i use 2 generous pinches of crumbled saffron threads or sub with tumeric but you won't get the same)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil and garlic, etc. drained or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil or 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonaded
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 -3 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking linguine.
- 2cut chicken breasts into strips.
- 3In a bowl toss chicken with 1 teaspoon oil, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over moderately high heat and saute in 2 batches until lightly browned and cooked through, stirring, for 5 minutes on each side, transferring as cooked to a plate.
- 5To skillet add wine and boil until most is evaporated.
- 6Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, onion, garlic,mushrooms, remaining 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and mushroom liquid is gone.
- 7In a bowl whisk together tomato paste, chicken broth and lemon zest.
- 8add to skillet along with the red pepper.
- 9Simmer mixture, covered, 5 minutes.
- 10add tomatoes, lemon juice, and simmer5 minutes - add lemon juice and spinach, bail, and parsley.
- 11simmer until spinach is wilted, 2 minutes.
- 12add capers if desired.
- 13In a very small bowl combine hot water and saffron.
- 14cook the linguine until al dente.
- 15Drain linguineand return to the pot.
- 16Toss linguine with saffron mixture until evenly coated and keep warm.
- 17divide the pasta onto 4-6 plates, top with chicken ragu, garnish with basil and parsley leaves,.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Ragu over Saffron Linguine
Serving Size: 1 (1336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1744.9
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 217.9 mg
- Sodium 1243.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 207.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 113.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced tomatoes with basil and garlic