Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 ounces Italian sausage, (mild or hot) casings removed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove large garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry marsala
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 pinches cloves
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs and Italian sausage. Stir cook, breaking sausage into small pieces, until chicken is browned and sausage meat is no longer pink.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic and bay leaf and continue to stir cook until the onion is softened.
- Stir in Marsala.
- Bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until half of the liquid has evaporated (about 15 minutes). Transfer this mixture to a Dutch oven.
- Mix in mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste and cloves.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- Serve as a stew with a salad and French bread or serve as a sauce for your favourite pasta.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.