Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pumpkins are in season now, here is a different recipe for you lovers of this super squash. The coconut milk and apple juice make a nice change to the flavour. This recipe is originally from the West Indies. Serve with crusty bread for a satisfying comfort dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pumpkin flesh, cubed
- 4 whole skinless chicken legs (thigh and drumsticks )
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree (paste)
- 300 ml apple juice
- 396 g coconut milk
- 600 ml water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled quartered
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 340 g tinned sweet corn
- 1 large courgette, diced
- 6 dried figs, chopped
- 12 prunes, chopped
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot melt the butter, fry the onions with the garlic for 2 minute Add the spices and fry 2 minutes.
- Add the apple juice and coconut milk to the spiced onions and stir.
- Add the tomatoes, water and Worcester sauce, bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce the heat and simmer till the potatoes are done.
- Serve with crusty buttered bred.
Nice dish to prepare now that the weather is getting colder again, very easy and tasty but added more spices..