Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
African chicken croquettes that would make a great dinner with a salad and some bread.
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne
- black pepper
- flour, as needed
- corn oil, for shallow frying
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt and chicken.
- Cook 5-10 minutes until done, then remove, let cool, and dice finely.
- In a bowl put the mashed potatoes, garlic, onion, egg, chicken, parsley, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well, if mixture is too dry add a little of the cooking liquid and then add enough flour, if needed, to easily form them into patties.
- Wet or flour your hands and form mixture into patties.
- In a heavy skillet heat 1/2 inch of oil to 350 degrees.
- Slide in the patties and cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Do not crowd the pan, work in batches if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels and serve garnished with cilantro.
Great little cakes, these Made the patties small enough to use as finger food & loved 'em that way! Will be making these again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]
My family really liked these! The flavors were great and how can you go wrong with chicken and potatoes! I did use instant mashed potatoes since I didn't have any leftovers on hand and they worked out great. Made for ZWT 7.
Awesome recipe! They are so good and different. My family enjoyed them a lot. Mine seemed to go together well because I made mine small and thick. Very tasty!