1/8 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie Without Vegetables
Debbie R.'s Note:
This recipe didn't use to strike me as rich but, after having made it today, I think it is. It's good, but you'll want to serve something crunchy and fresh with it, like a salad or fruit for dessert. The cheddar crust is essential for the finished overall flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening, butter and cheese till crumbs form. Add water and toss with a fork just until dough just forms a ball.
- 2Turn onto lightly floured board. Press large chunks away with heel of hand. Gather and repeat. Shape into thick circle. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.
- 3Stew chicken with enough water to cover it, along with the onion and celery, until done. This usually takes from 60 to 90 minutes.
- 4Remove chicken from broth. Debone and skin. Chop meat.
- 5Skim off fat from broth. Discard the celery and onion. Reserve 3 cups broth for this recipe. (The more concentrated the broth, the better.).
- 6Melt butter. Add flour. Cook and stir until bubbly. Add reserved broth and evaporated milk. Don't just dump all the liquids into the flour mixture--work in about 1/4 cup at a time until it is thinned out, and then you can increase how much liquid you can work in each time. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in chicken. Put chicken filling in a round casserole dish.
- 7Roll out dough, a little bigger than your dish so that you can have some dough to crimp. Place dough over chicken filling. Crimp edges.
- 8Bake at 425 degrees for about 30-60 minutes or until crust is golden. If you check it and the edges of the pie are looking browned before the rest of it is ready, put foil over the edges -- just make like a long little tent and loosely attach over the edges.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie Without Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.4
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.4 mg
- Sodium 258.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 12.7 g