Cook1 hr 30 mins
This chicken and vegetable pot pie is extrememly comforting. Full of tender veggies and with a broth enriched sauce.
- 12 ounces fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen mixed vegetables
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 can sliced mushroom, , I perfer fresh mushrooms (, I perfer fresh mushrooms)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan combine chicken breasts and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer til done. (about 15 minutes)
- Remove chicken from pan. Saving broth for later.
- Shred chicken when cool enough to handle, set aside.
- Add potatoes, celery and bouillon cube to reserved broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 12 mins or until veggies are tender. Set aside in heavy saucepan.
- Melt butter over low heat, add 2 tbsp flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook for 1 min stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in poultry seasoning.
- In large bowl combine shredded chicken, frozen veggies, sauce and mushrooms.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish and set aside.
- In small bowl combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in remaining 2 tbsp (cold) butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk until just mixed.
- Spoon the biscuit dough in lumps over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until biscuits are golden and mixture is hot and bubbly.