Well This is my creation in my first RSC contest. After thinking about it, I went into the kitchen and made it. When it came time for my DH to give it his review, HE really liked it! It is loaded with flavor. Rich and creamy. The crust served on top of the soup makes it extra good! Enjoy.
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml portabella mushroom, chopped fine
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1892.72 ml chicken stock (homemade is best)
- 36.97 ml instant chicken bouillon (granular type)
- 236.59 ml spinach, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml basil, finely chopped
- 591.47 ml chicken breasts, raw and cubed
- 177.44 ml powdered milk
- 177.44 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 73.94 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml butter
- 236.59 ml flour
- In a small fry pan add olive oil, onion, portabello and celery.
- Cook till soft, set aside in into another bowl.
- In the same pan, saute chicken pieces with a little olive oil till done. About 10 minutes.
- In stock pot add the chicken stock, 3 tablespoons of the chicken bouillon, and cubed chicken. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Heat to a soft boil, reduce heat and add the onion, mushroom and celery mixture, and the powdered milk.
- Add the spinach and basil.
- Simmer just till spinach and basil are limp, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese, stir til melted.
- Bring back to a soft boil.
- Add corn starch in 1/3 cups cold water, slowly add into the chicken stock.
- Stir till all is thicken.
- In bowl, add butter and flour till like small peas.
- Add enough water to make a nice pie dough.
- Roll out on floured board and cut into desired shapes, place onto cookie sheet, bake till light brown.
- Let cool about 15 minutes.
- To serve:.
- Ladle into bowl.
- Place pieces of the crust on top of the soup.