Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is wonderful and tender, with just a bit of kick. In the summer I bake it on the BBQ.
- 2 whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse chickens and dry.
- Cut chicken in half, along the breastbone.
- Cut away wing tips and backs (can be used in a soup or stock later).
- Arrange chicken halves in a backing pan, skin side down.
- In small bowl, combine seasonings and sprinkle chicken with half the seasoning mixture.
- Bake chicken covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove and turn chicken skin side up, and sprinkle with the remaining seasonings.
- Bake uncovered for 20 – 30 minutes
- Serve each chicken portion with a lemon quarter.