Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe from The Comfort Food Diet cookbook of Taste of Home. This is so yummy. Maybe another time I'll use less pasta. I used dried basil but it would be great with fresh basil. I roasted a red bell pepper and used it in this recipe.
- 946.36 ml uncooked spiral shaped pasta (I used macaroni)
- 226.79 g fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I steamed them)
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 14.78 ml olive oil, divided
- 198.44 g jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 177.44 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 177.44 ml fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 59.14 ml minced fresh basil or 19.71 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 73.94 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 2 minutes (I steamed them cause I didn't want them crispy). Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in 2 tsp oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute red peppers and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, 1/2 cup milk, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Add chicken to the pepper mixture. Combine cornstarch and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta mixture; toss with the sauce. Srinkle each serving with 1 tbs cheese.
I was expecting this to be tasty but it was even more yummy that I had thought. I didn't use the red pepper as I found it past the point of appealing and continued without it. I did cut the beans as ask but the chicken was in larger pieces. The sauce, though simple, was delicious and this doesn't take all day to make. I will most certainly make this again.