Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Straight from the heart of my kitchen to yours. About as Italian-American as you can get. Don't worry about the steps involved. It's easier than it seems and well worth the trouble.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (don't buy the stuff in the shaker can, buy a wedge and grade your own. Best yet, find some quality P)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (your favorite off-the-shelf or homemade)
- Make your dredging stations first.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium size bowl. Set aside (this is your 'wet' station).
- In another medium or large sized bowl, combine breadcrumbs, grated parmesean, basil, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well (this is your 'dry' station).
- Cut chicken breasts into halves or, if thighs, skip this step.
- Between pieces of plastic wrap or in a plastic bag, pound chicken pieces (one at a time) until 1/6th - 1/4 inch thick.
- As you finish each piece, add it to the wet station.
- Once you are done with flattening all of your pieces of chicken wash up (you know the drill).
- Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a large skillet (at this point, if you had the fresh garlic clove, you can crush and add to the skillet as it warms up. As soon as it begins to sizzle, remove. This flavors your oil).
- While pan in getting hot, return to your dredging stations and one piece at a time, begin coating the wet pieces of chicken in the dry mix (tip: try using only one hand so the other stays relatively clean).
- Once fully coated, place in the pan with the olive oil.
- Pan fry each piece until brown (3-4 minutes per side).
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Continue this process with all pieces of chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a greased cookie sheet or baking try, arrange all pieces of browned chicken. If you need two trays, go for it.
- Top each chicken piece with marinara (roughly a tablespoon's worth, maybe more)and a large pinch of mozzarela cheese.
- Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and begins to brown on top (about 20 minutes).
- Serve with a nice salad with a simple vinagarette, some fresh cooked veggies, and crusty bread for a well rounded meal. Or if your throwing caution to the wind, serve over pasta with extra marinara.
- Also, with any recipe, feel free to add salt and pepper to taste.
Great flavors! However, the portions for the breading were too much in my opinion. I used about 1/2 of the breading mix for my 6 thighs.