Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Three flavors of canned soup takes the place of a creamed sauce for this recipe, I like to use 2 cans cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of chicken, I would suggest to add in salt if needed at the table as the creamed soups have enough salt already added . This is really good! :)
- 1 (16 ounce) package thin spaghetti (can use regular spaghetti if desired)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped) (optional)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (or use 1-2 cans sliced drained mushrooms)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted (or use 2 cans cream of mushroom and 1 can chicken)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish (or a large oval casserole dish).
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente (do not overcook the pasta, leave semi-firm as it will cook more in the oven) drain, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in whipping cream and all three canned soups, cooked chicken or turkey, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, 1-1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and frozen peas (if using) toss well to combine.
- In a large skillet melt butter; add in the mushrooms and cook until all the liquid is removed (about 10 minutes).
- To the skillet with the mushrooms, add in onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper (if using) sauté until onions are soft; add to the soup mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Season with seasoned salt and pepper (or white salt).
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake about 30-35 minutes (or until hot and bubbly) uncover and sprinkle with about 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, return to oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5-8 minutes).
This was very good and extra rich! My personal opinion was that it was too thick for me, and perhaps next time I will use milk instead of the cream to make it less heavy and thick. I used a bit less noodles so that it would be slightly more saucy and it was perfect. I might also add chopped celery as I think this will add more flavor and texture. Thanks!
I made some alterations based on what I had. Used part leftover chicken and part canned, canned mushrooms, no jalepenos since a little one was eating it, no cream so I whisked a tbsp of mayo with about 3 tbsp of milk, 1/2 jar of pimentos, and preminced garlic.
This stuff is awesome for cold snowy days!!
I made these using the low fat versions of the soups, and sour cream. I also used fat free half and half for the cream and low carb pasta. I made it vegetarian by using Quorn tenders instead of turkey or chicken, just added them frozen to the casserole mixture before putting it in the oven. Even with all of these substitutions, it was still fantastic and enjoyed by the entire family. That doesn't happen often with my picky family. I have a feeling they will be requesting this again!