Recipe by Rita~
This very quich soup is a nice way to warm these cold days and comfort those colds. The hot pepper can be ommitted, crushed, seeded, chopped, or left whole depending on if you like heat in your soup. Throw in any vegies you like Bok choy or fresh spinach is good.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
A delightful soup, and so easy to make. I followed the recipe as written, using a homemade Chinese-inspired chicken stock. The Asian flavours didn't come through quite enough for me. In future, I'll up the amount of ginger and add some fish sauce or more chili. That said, it was pure comfort food and really delicious. Thanks Rita.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml chili oil or 4.92 ml regular sesame oil, i like it hot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced rinsed well
- 59.14 ml dried porcini mushrooms, soaked and sliced reserve strained liquid to add to soup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 slice ginger, minced
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 2 parsnips, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1 dried chili
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1892.0 ml chicken stock
- 226.79 g dried ramen noodles
- 354.88 ml shredded cooked chicken
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley or 118.29 ml cilantro, finely chopped, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with the oils.
- Add the onion, leeks, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, carrots, parsnips, celery, pepper, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and mushroom liquid and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with soy sauce and pepper.
- Remove dried chili.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- And you may drizzle extra sesame oil.