Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Chicken Meatballs flavoured with a blend of herbs in a tomato-red-capsicum-basil sauce, served over rice or noodles. This dish is suitable for freezing.
- 450 g ground chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped, plus leaves to garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- plain flour, to lightly dust the meatballs
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red capsicums, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, herbs, parmesan and the lightly beaten egg.
- Season to taste, mix well and with floured hands, shape the mixture into 12 meatballs.
- Place on a tray, cover loosely and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, over a medium heat, add the onions and capsicums and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add the tomatoes (and the juice), 1 tablespoon chopped basil and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and the sauce has begun to thicken.
- Transfer the tomato sauce to a blender or food processor, blend until smooth and season to taste.
- Clean the pan.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the meatballs and sauté over a high heat for five minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly golden-brown all over.
- Return the tomato sauce to the pan, simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over steamed rice or noodles and your favourite salad or side dish.
This is very tasty! I enjoyed the flavor of the peppers in the sauce. It was a little time consuming but all enjoyed. I served this over whole wheat spaghetti with salads and garlic bread. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue
very good I only made the meatballs and since I have a huge garden crop of jalapenos I added that in also to the mixture and used green onion in place of the chives, I increased the Parmesan cheese to 1/4 cup, we enjoyed these, thanks for sharing bluemoon!