24 hrs 35 mins
This method of preparing the pate is new to me but since I love chicken livers - we tried it anyway. We were very pleasantly surpirsed! Served with pita chips, cocktail rye or any other crackers it is wonderful! Who needs crackers - it tasted awesome! From Everyday Cooking with Jacques Pépin This originally appeared in the March, 2007 edition of Food & Wine." This silky-smooth pâté is inexpensive and simple to make. The chicken livers are briefly simmered in water with aromatics before they’re blended with butter in a food processor. If you have the opportunity to choose, shop for paler chicken livers; they tend to have a mellower, richer flavor than deep-red ones." Thinking about serving this for Passover, it will be a change; however, haven't decided yet - perhaps I'll stick with my old recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb chicken liver, well-trimmed
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (we used less) or 1 1/2 sticks unsalted margarine (we used less)
- 2 teaspoons cognac or 2 teaspoons Scotch whisky
- fresh ground pepper
- toasted baguette, slices for serving
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken livers, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 2Add the water and bring to a simmer; cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the livers are barely pink inside, about 3 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 4Discard the bay leaf.
- 5Using a slotted spoon, transfer the livers, onion and garlic to a food processor; process until coarsely pureed.
- 6With the machine on, add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, until incorporated.
- 7Add the Cognac, season with salt and pepper and process until completely smooth.
- 8Scrape the pâté into 2 or 3 large ramekins; press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pâté and refrigerate until firm.
- 9Serve chilled.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Liver Pate a La Jacques Pepin
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.5
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 191.4 mg
- Sodium 30.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g