Recipe by Daydream
Great flavors and textures in this yummy, Asian stir-fry recipe. Vary the chilli heat according to your preference.
Top Review by Bergy
This is a 5 star plus recipe - We Loved it! I used chicken skinless, boneless breasts (I had them on hand). Did not have coriander root so used a generous teaspoon of powdered coriander. I am not familiar with a Kaffir lime so used a regular lime- The flavors all came together beautifully. I seved the noodles on the side but next time I will mix them in as the recipe suggests. Thanks Daydream for posting this wonderful recipe
- 16 ounces boneless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces fine egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil (for example peanut or sunflower)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 8 coriander roots, scraped and finely chopped (cilantro)
- 1 hot red chile, finely chopped (remove the seeds and use less if you don’t like it too hot)
- 3 spring onions, sliced (green)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (capsicum)
- 1 head bok choy, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet Indonesian soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 kaffir lime, zest and juice
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 ounces unsalted toasted cashew nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the noodles as per the instructions on the packet, drain and set aside.
- Heat a large wok to a high heat.
- Add a little of the vegetable oil to the wok, and when it is hot, stir-fry the chicken in batches until sealed and half-cooked.
- Return all the chicken to the wok, add the honey, and continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked and a rich golden colour.
- Add a little water to the wok, as necessary, just to prevent the chicken and honey from sticking.
- Remove the chicken and honey mixture from the wok and set aside while you cook the remainder of the dish.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok and saute the ginger, garlic, coriander roots and chilli for about a minute.
- Add the vegetables and stir-fry over high heat until just tender.
- Add the pre-cooked noodles and saute for a minute or so before returning the chicken to the pan.
- Add the soy sauces, sesame oil, the lime zest and juice.
- Heat through and correct the seasoning, adding a little more honey if desired.
- Finally, stir through the fresh coriander.
- Serve with a scattering of cashews over the top.