Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The chicken makes a nice change from the usual lamb mince used to make koftas.
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 kg ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 (400 g) can canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- Mix the first 3 spices together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place the chicken, one tablespoon each of the garlic and ginger; the turmeric, chilli powder, flour, egg, salt and half the mix you set aside in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form into golf ball sized balls.
- Heat half the oil in a pan and brown the balls; drain and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook the onions for 5 minutes. Add the curry leaves and remaining mix of ground spices, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the meatballs and cook for another 15 minutes.
This was lovely, I used 750g chicken breast fillet which I ground in my food processor, skipped the egg and in it's place added about 2Tbs water. As I wanted to cut the cals down slightly I used only 1/2 a can coconut milk and subbed the other 1/2 with chicken stock. A nice change from the usual style Kofta. :)