Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another one of Vij's fabulous recipes Allow an extra three hours for marinating.
- 6 chicken breasts or 6 chicken thighs, lightly poked all over with a knife
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups melted ghee or 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashews (hand chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic cloves, thinly sliced in round pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- canola oil
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Thoroughly mix all the Marinade ingredients with the chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover and set aside in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F GARLIC In a small baking tray, mix the garlic with salt, ground cayenne pepper and black pepper and approximately 1 teaspoon of canola oil.
- Place garlic tray in oven.
- Mix the garlic after 4 or 5 minutes and place back in oven for an additional 4 minutes.
- Since all ovens vary in temperature, keep checking through oven window to make sure the garlic isn’t burning.
- CASHEWS In a small baking tray, place cashews in a single pile.
- Place tray in oven.
- Mix the cashews after 4 or 5 minutes and place back in oven for an additional 4 or 5 minutes.
- Keep checking through the oven window to make sure the cashews aren’t burning.
- Mix the roasted garlic and cashews and set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons ghee in a heavy, small pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and immediately reduce heat to low.
- Grill the marinated chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, but while it is still on the grill, glaze both sides of the chicken with the ghee-lemon dressing.
- Serve the garlic-cashew mixture over freshly grilled marinated chicken breasts.
I made this sometime ago and we loved it! I halved the recipe and the only ingredient I cut down on was the ghee. I was not sure about this recipe whilst making it and I actually said to my husband not to expect too much when I served it. But it had all come together on the plate and I will certainly make it again!! Thanks for posting
Very good - I cut everything in half without any problems and used butter instead of the ghee. I also reduced the butter amount a lot and also used a bit less garlic too (ran out of). This was a nice change from our usual. Thanks for sharing!
Very nice chicken dish. Wonderful flavours. Changed the face of the dish a bit by omitting the cashews (personal preference) an reducing the amount of ghee and oil :) Fay