Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great for a lot of people, you may want to cut back on the hot pepper and serve Tabasco, or Red Hot on the side.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut-up
- 2 lbs smoked sausage or 2 lbs kielbasa, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 1 tablespoon spanish smoked paprika
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red jalapeno powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder or 1 whole deseeded red jalapeno chile, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked raw rice
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Add oil into an 8 quart pot that has been placed over moderate heat. Add the chicken and cook until brown on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add the Sausage & Ham to the pot and lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
- Season the Chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pot, and brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the Brown Sugar and stir until melted.
- Add Onions, Celery & Bell Peppers. Cook, stirring, until tender.
- Add the Garlic and Smoked Paprika, Tomatoes, Chicken Stock, Bay leaves, Red Hot, Black & Hot Pepper, Chicken, Sausages and Ham.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour
- Taste to adjust seasonings. Add the rice, stirring well.
- Bring back to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the Green Onions and Parsley 5 minutes before serving.