Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a bit time consuming, but I thought it was worth it! There's not really any chopping so that saves time. It's not as hard as it looks to make. We all loved this, even the kids. I prepared this in my electric skillet. Prep and cook times are approximate. Note: To fricasse a broiler-fryer chicken, select 3-4 pound broiler-fryer chicken and cook slowly 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
- 4 1⁄2-5 lbs stewing chicken, cut up
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika, if desired
- shortening or salad oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour
For the Dumplings
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives, if desired
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Mix 1 cup flour, the salt, pepper and paprika.
- Coat chicken with flour mixture.
- Heat thin layer of shortening or salad oil in large skillet; brown chicken on all sides.
- Drain off and reserve fat.
- To chicken in skillet, add water and if desired, chopped onion, lemon juice or herbs, such as rosemary or thyme leaves.
- Cover tightly; cook chicken slowly 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until fork tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove chicken to warm platter; keep warm.
- Pour off and reserve liquid in skillet.
- To make gravy; heat 3 tblsp reserved fat in skillet.
- Blend in 3 tblsp flour.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add enough milk to reserved liquid to measure 3 cups; pour into skillet.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Return chicken to gravy.
- Prepare dough for Dumplings; drop by spoonfuls onto hot chicken.
- Cook uncovered 10 minutes; cover and cook 20 minutes longer.
- To make Dumplings: Measure flour, baking powder and salt into bowl.
- If desired, add 3 tblsp snipped chives.
- Cut in shortening thoroughly until mixture looks like meal.
- Stir in milk.
I made this recipe tonight and it was great! Even my picky eater loved it. Thanks for making dinner delicious.
This is worth the time & effort. I have made this several times. My husband loves this dish. Thanks for sharing. Adding this to my favorites list.