This is my modification of Giada's Shrimp Fra Diavolo (#155415) with chicken substituted for the shrimp. If you don't like it, Don't blame Giada! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to increase or reduce the spiciness)
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1Cook pasta until almost fully cooked (al dente), drain, and set aside.
- 2While the pasta is cooking:.
- 3In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté the onions in two Tbl of olive oil for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- 4Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- 5Transfer the onion mixture to a bowl, leaving as much oil as possible in the skillet, and set aside.
- 6Add the chicken to the pan, sprinkle with salt, and sauté approximately 4-5 minutes until no longer pink (add additional oil as necessary).
- 7Add the wine to the skillet and deglaze.
- 8Return the onion mixture to the skillet and add the tomatoes with their juices and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 9Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste.
- 10Add the drained pasta to the tomato mixture; stir well and cook for another minute or two to bring the pasta up to temperature and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fra Diavolo
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.6
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 85.1 mg
- Sodium 674.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 26.9 g