Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my modification of Giada's Shrimp Fra Diavolo (#155415) with chicken substituted for the shrimp. If you don't like it, Don't blame Giada! :-)
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to increase or reduce the spiciness)
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook pasta until almost fully cooked (al dente), drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking:.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté the onions in two Tbl of olive oil for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a bowl, leaving as much oil as possible in the skillet, and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan, sprinkle with salt, and sauté approximately 4-5 minutes until no longer pink (add additional oil as necessary).
- Add the wine to the skillet and deglaze.
- Return the onion mixture to the skillet and add the tomatoes with their juices and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste.
- Add the drained pasta to the tomato mixture; stir well and cook for another minute or two to bring the pasta up to temperature and serve.
Easy and delicious, I mixed in pre made alfredo sauce. Creamy and yummy!!
Excellent & easy. I increase red pepper to 1.5 tsp. and serve over Giada's Lemon Spaghetti. Quick enough for everyday, good enough for company. LOVE IT!
Very good. I used dried oregano and parsley (1 teaspoon each).