Recipe by Olha
Finely grated Parmigiano –Reggiano , helps form a crisp and golden coating on chicken. Panko bread crumbs are available at many grocery stores and Asian markets. When freezing the chicken fingers, hold off on making the sauce until just before serving.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko) or 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 4 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
Directions See How It's Made
- HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE: In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustard and honey. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.).
- Between sheets of plastic wrap, pound chicken with flat side of meat pounder or with rolling pin until ½ inch thick. Cut lengthwise on diagonal into 4 x 1 ½ inch strips. In bowl, whisk eggs. In shallow bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika.
- One at a time, dip chicken strips into eggs, letting any excess drip back into bowl. Coat generously with cheese mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Refrigerate, layered between waxed paper, in airtight container for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Bake from frozen.
- Arrange on greased baking sheets; drizzle with butter. Bake in 425°F oven until golden, crispy and no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce. Makes 4 servings.
- TONIGHT’S DINNER: Follow first 3 paragraphs. Bake as directed in last paragraph, decreasing baking time to 15 minutes.
- TIP: Fresh bread crumbs give an almost as crispy coating. To make them, whiz a slice or two of crusty bread in the food processor. Make extra and store in the freezer for another round of chicken fingers.
- Make It Tonight-- Canadian Living.