This soup came about as a result of a flavor that I enjoy the fajita and I wanted to share that flavor in my soups so I tired it and brought it to work - it was a hit I hope you enjoy it as well!! Feliz Navidad
- 14 ounces bell peppers (three pepper blend by Pict sweet brand for fajita)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery (sliced )
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper (sliced in 1/4-inch x1/2-inch strips)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (rough chopped)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Del Monte zesty jalapeno pepper diced tomato
- 15 1⁄2 ounces black beans
- 29 ounces chicken broth (2 tins college inn)
- 7 ounces frozen corn and black beans (pict sweet with Mexican seasoning)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 sazon con azafran seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (coarsely ground fresh)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (pre cooked sliced chicken, beef or turkey any will work or left over)
- rice (I used Forbidden black rice but any would do)
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- guacamole, sauce
- In a large soup pot add 1 tsp olive oil add onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms and fresh bell pepper. Sauté until onion is clear approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, beans and bay leaf cook for 15 minutes.
- Add spices and frozen peppers and corn. Add black beans and meat. Cook for 25 -40 minutes over medium heat. Check for seasoning - add more heat if you like add more cilantro, cumin etc - this is really all about your desired level of taste - make it yours).
- Serve in a large bowl with your favorite Mexican toppings - enjoy.
- Feliz Navidad - a great change from the American standard!