Recipe by Cookie16
I've had this recipe for years and make it frequently. My kids love this; they have so much fun putting them together at the table. Spices can be adjusted; I usually increase the cumin. Shrimp, Beef or Veggies could be subbed for the chicken.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 large sweet peppers, cut into strips (can be green, red, yellow, etc.)
- 1 large red onion, cut into strips
- 12 corn tortillas (roughly, you can also use flour)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the oil, vinegar, garlic, jalapeno and the spices.
- Divide evenly between 2 bowls.
- In one bowl put chicken strips.
- In other bowl put peppers and onions.
- Cover and marinate both for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Drain pepper/onion mix and chicken from marinade.
- Add oil to skillet. Cook and stir pepper/onions for 5 minutes, remove.
- Add a bit more oil if needed then add chicken to skillet, cook and stir until just about cooked through.
- Add pepper/onions back to skillet and cook til heated through.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa and sour cream or whatever else you like.