Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
To save time prepare and cook the chicken a day ahead, make this as spicy as you like by using spicy salsa and you may also add in crushed chili flakes for more heat :)
Top Review by Goody2shz
Delicious! The sour cream sauce is what makes it. Even though I used parsley instead of cilantro it came out fabulous. I also used enchilada sauce instead of the salsa. I can't imagine making enchiladas without it. The one criticism I have is that even with reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat cheese, this recipe is not exactly low fat......LOWER fat maybe, but definitely not low fat. To make it even lower fat, use half or less the amount of oil called for, and forego the cheese entirely (or use much less). The first time I made these I didn't use any cheese at all and with the sour cream sauce and enchilada sauce for moistness, it still came out great. I'll definitely be making these again and again. Thanks.
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 small green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3 x 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to suit taste)
- 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled chunky salsa (medium or hot)
- 1 -2 tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9" baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and cumin; set aside.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp oil.
- Add in the chicken saute for 2 minutes, add in the minced garlic, saute for 2 minutes more, or until the juices run clear.
- Divide the chicken strips among the 8 tortillas, placing them down the center of the tortillas.
- Top with the sour cream mixture; roll them up, and place them seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Cover with foil; bake for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven; spoon the salsa in a strip down the center, and sprinkle the chopped tomato over the salsa.