This recipe was found at Mexicanfoodrecipes.org. Sounds like a delicious Chicken Enchiladas dish!! Posting for the ZWT Mexican region. It calls for green chili's, but if you like it spicy, add more hot peppers of choice. Note: Time is included for cooking the chicken breast. You may sub flour for the corn tortillas.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cooked chicken breast halves (boneless,skinless and shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped fresh
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat, and then fry the tortillas 5 seconds per side until they are pliable. Do them individually and add more oil as required. Drain the tortillas on paper towels and keep them warm.
- Divide the chicken, onion (not green onion) and 10 oz of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll them up and place in a greased baking pan, seam side down. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it begins to boil. Add the broth, stirring continuously.
- Add the chilies and sour cream. Stir occasionally and do not let the mixture boil. Pour this mixture over the enchiladas when hot and thick. Bake the Mexican chicken enchiladas for 20 minutes then top with the rest of the cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes. Use the green onions and cilantro to garnish them.
Soooo Goood, Such a great success!
For the tortillas I followed the Corn Tortillas. I cooked the chicken with the addtion of Mexican Seasoning Mix. As I only had frozen cilantro green I preferred to add this to the chicken than using this for decoration. Instead of sour cream I used light fresh cheese.
Come out really delicious. Thanks a lot for this recipe!
This was a great recipe for that left over chicken. It was quick and easy to assemble, and oh so tasty.....didn't change a thing!
I usually won't try a receipe with few ratings, but I'm sure glad i tried this one, This came out excellent. If you like chicken enchiladas this is a must try. thank you for the posting mmmm