Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Green Chile Verde alternative to the traditional red sauce enchilada. Makes two to three dishes of enchiladas... feeds approx. 20. Can use alternate for chicken, and use vegetarian chicken strips if cooking for a vegetarian. This recipe does not require any boiling or shredding of the chicken and saves about 15 minutes off the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Boil chicken breasts in water till softened and thoroughly cooked -- shred with a fork.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, mix half a can of chile verde sauce and the 1/2 cup flour till its a little thick.
- Mix in chicken and the remaining 1 1/2 cans. *I usually add in some cheese at this point, but it's not required.*.
- In each tortilla, spoon a good amount of the chicken mixture into the middle and roll the tortilla, place in the pan --
- Keep rolling all the tortillas till the pan is packed full.
- Pour a bottle of chile verde on top of the tortillas, spread till it covers all edges of the enchiladas. This keeps them moist when you bake them.
- Cover in cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese melts or golden brown. Whichever comes first, varies by oven.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- Tastes great with Spanish rice and sour cream.