1/1 Photo of Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe has been a longstanding family favorite. You don’t have to use chicken, you can use turkey as well, and let me tell you if I didn’t make these at least once with some of the leftover turkey at Christmastime, there was a very upset family! These were always a Christmas leftover MUST DO.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken or 4 cups cooked turkey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 5 small whole green chilies, chopped (canned or fresh, (to taste)
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 -15 corn tortillas (I always used flour tortillas and I make my own)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (The original recipe calls for Monterey Jack, so by all means use that if you can get it)
- 1 -2 cup sour cream, for serving
- sliced spring onion, for serving
- 1Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet.
- 2Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion begins to soften.
- 3Stir in the chilies, tomatoes, passata, and tomato puree.
- 4Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the diced chicken, paprika, cumin, pepper, oregano and salt to taste.
- 5Simmer for 20 minutes longer.
- 6Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F.
- 7Spoon a bit of the sauce on the bottom of a lightly greased flat baking dish.
- 8Spoon some of the chicken mixture onto the centre of a tortilla and then roll up and place it in the baking dish.
- 9Repeat with remaining chicken filling and tortillas, saving a bit of the sauce to spoon over the top.
- 10Spoon reserved sauce over top and sprinkle with all the cheese.
- 11Bake until the cheese melts and the enchiladas are hot and bubbly, from 15 to 20 minutes.
- 12Top with sour cream and spring onions to serve. Delicious!
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.1
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.2 mg
- Sodium 1037.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 48.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole green chilies