Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Candy got this recipe from one of those little paper recipe books you can buy at the check-out... it quickly became a family favorite. Note: I have this aversion to canned chicken so I always boiled and shredded my own, but I'm told the canned chicken was fine.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) cans black olives, sliced
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Saute onion in oil.
- Add chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic powder and blend well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
- In 13X9X2 inch glass dish, place 4 tortillas, followed by 1/3 of chicken mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/3 of olives and 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat with layers until you have a topping of cheese.
- Bake at 350-F for 30-40 mins until heated through and cheese is melted.
This got mixed reviews at my house. I thought it was okay. Some of the family liked it, some didn't, so probably won't make again. If you already have the chicken pre-cooked this takes no time to throw together so it would be an easy week night meal.
This was delicious! It totally satisfied my enchilada craving without all of the work and mess that goes into making enchiladas. I did make one change (even though I hate to rate recipes when I have made any changes) - I used enchilada sauce instead of the tomato sauce and taco mix. I figured it would give the same taste and I really wanted enchilada sauce. The canned chicken idea was a great one too! That saved a ton of time and the taste wasn't sacrificed. I served it with chunks of avocado and sour cream.
I think I had this in the oven under 30 minutes! This is a very easy, fast and delicious recipe that the whole family enjoyed! I used canned chicken breast and had flour tortillas and it came out great. I'm sure we'll like the flavor and texture the corn tortillas will give this recipe. Thanks for helping me out with dinner tonight Candy, when I was running short on time! I'll be making this again. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2006