Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Very good. A definite guest dish !
- 2 whole chicken breasts, boned and skinned
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- peanut oil
- Cut each chicken breast in half.
- One at a time, place breast halves between two sheets of waxed paper and pound flat.
- Spread some mustard down the center of each breast, and then layer with 1 ham slice and 1 cheese slice.
- Fold breast half around the filling; beginning with one long side, then short sides, finishing with a long side making sure the filling is completely coverd.
- Press edges together and roll each piece as it is finished in a sheet of waxed paper.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg lightly with 1 teaspoon water.
- Line up a plate with flour, a shallow dish with beaten egg, and a plate with bread crumbs.
- One by one, roll each piece in flour to coat, then dip in egg, coating completely, and roll in bread crumbs, pressing crumbs into egg coating.
- Place chicken pieces on a tray and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat enough peanut oil in a large frying pan so that it comes up half way.
- Fry chicken pieces, two at a time, in hot oil, until browned evenly on all sides; about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towel and place in a non stick baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.