4 hrs 15 mins
For a South American experience.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, split horizontally
- 1 cup prepared chimichurri sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut from stem to root into very thin strips
- salt and pepper
- 4 sandwich buns, split
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 12 slices
- 1 cup lettuce leaf
- 1To Make Chimichurri Sauce: Combine parsley, cilantro, chile, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor. Cover and pulse until chopped.
- 2Add olive oil gradually, with food processor running. Continue to process until smooth. Makes 1 1/3 cup.
- 3To Make Chimichurri Sandwiches: Combine chicken and 3/4 cup chimichurri sauce in large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and turn to coat. Chill several hours or overnight.
- 4Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from plastic bag, discarding any sauce remaining in bag. Grill chicken 2 to 4 minutes on each side, turning only once, until browned and no longer pink in center. Stack cooked chicken into 4 equal portions. Top each with 1 slice cheese. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5Heat canola oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 6Toast sandwich buns, if desired. Spread cut sides of buns with remaining Chimichurri Sauce. Serve chicken on buns topped with onions, avocado and lettuce. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chimichurri Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1007.7
- Calories from Fat 738
- Total Fat 82.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 100.4 mg
- Sodium 1065.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: