1/1 Photo of Chicken Chili
2 hrs 25 mins
From Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa). Serve with corn chips, chopped onions etc. Also a great way to use up leftover chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chopped yellow onions (6 onions)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (8 cloves)
- 4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 4 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- 4 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes, in puree, undrained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 8 chicken breast halves, bone in, skin on
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- 2Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- 3Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt.
- 4Cook for 1 minute.
- 5Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times).
- 6Add to the pot with the basil.
- 7Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 9Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet.
- 10Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 11Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked.
- 12Let cool slightly.
- 13Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 14Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- 15Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chili
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.1
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 640.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 14.9 g