Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
What's for dinner? A hardy, heart warming chowder with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil, reduce heat, add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, salt, poultry seasoning and white wine.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy saucepan, add flour, mix well and cook over very low heat for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk, increase heat to medium high, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cheese until melted.
- Add to hot broth mixture, add chicken and stir until heated through.
As far as chowders go, I would have to rate this "average". I followed the directions, but it turned out rather watery, and lacking in flavor. Not exceedingly good or bad.
Good, hearty. Great with crusty bread. I doubled the poultry seasoning & cut the amount of cheese back just a bit. My potatoes got sort of mushy ... DH & I decided this would be better with everything in it BUT the potatoes (odd, b/c we love potatoes usually). I used skim milk with no problem & a chardonnay for the wine, and it came together pretty quickly for a good weeknight meal.
Yumm!! I've got this still going on the stove as I write this. I made it for my mom, as a nice winter treat, but now I'm not sure I want to share. What a velvety, creamy soup! I used some condensed milk, since I only keep skim in the fridge, and used a scanty measure of sherry, instead of white wine because I didn't have any white wine. Turned out great...I'm really pleased.