1/2 Photos of Chicken Casserole or Coq Au Vin
1 hr 40 mins
Warning.. this is a very rich dish! Done with real butter and bacon, but if you want to indulge once in a while this is the meal to try! The original French "coq au vin" was made without the potatoes and carrots and stewed in a pot on top of the stove. The "coq" was usually a tough old rooster and needed lots of cooking time to come out tender enough to eat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and peel all vegetables.
- 2Cut carrots and potatoes into large chunks.
- 3Cut large mushrooms into quarters.
- 4Wash chicken and cut into serving size pieces, cutting legs into thigh and drumstick pieces and breast in 4 pieces (or leave part of breast on each wing piece and leave rest of breast in 2 halves).
- 5Cut up bacon into small strips or cubes.
- 6Have casserole dish ready at the side of stove.
- 7Start by carefully frying bacon pieces in butter.
- 8Do not let pan get too hot so as not to burn the butter!
- 9With slotted spoon take out bacon pieces and place in casserole dish.
- 10Carefully, glaze the shallots and garlic cloves in same pan as bacon and remove them also into casserole dish.
- 11Brown mushroom pieces in same pan continually watching that it does not get too hot. Remove browned mushrooms to casserole dish.
- 12Brown chicken pieces a few at a time starting with skin side down. Then turn and brown otherside. Add more butter to pan as necessary to be able to brown all chicken. Do not salt yet as the bacon and butter are salty.
- 13When all meat is browned, arrange it in casserole with browned vegetables and raw carrots and potatoes.
- 14Stir in flour to butter and bacon grease.
- 15Add chicken broth and cooking wine and let simmer a minute.
- 16Add enough broth so that the mixture is a medium gravy consistancy.
- 17Now you can taste and add salt and pepper as desired. A bay leaf can be added as well if desired.
- 18Pour broth over meat and vegetables in casserole.
- 19Cover and cook in oven one hour or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Casserole or Coq Au Vin
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1104.2
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.0 g
- Saturated Fat 28.1 g
- Cholesterol 248.9 mg
- Sodium 959.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 55.0 g