Recipe by Sackville
I just can't get enough of stews during the fall and winter. Here's another of my favourites.
Top Review by m a n t e e g a
This was a good, quick stew. I served it with homemade biscuits. I was tempted to add some other veggies, but was glad I stuck to the recipe. I think I might try adding barley, next time, though.
- 4 slices back bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 750 g chicken thighs, with bone
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 500 g baby carrots
- 200 g frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- flour, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic and bacon.
- Sauté for a few minutes and then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook for about ten minutes total, until the bacon is crisp and the onions soft.
- Meanwhile, dredge the chicken pieces with flour, shaking off any extra.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and brown the meat all over, setting it aside on a plate as you go.
- Boil a pan of water and then cook the carrots for a couple minutes.
- Dissolve the chicken stock in 500ml boiling water and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the chicken to the onion mixture and then add about a third of the stock into the pot and stir to loosen the flour from the chicken as the stock comes back to a boil.
- Keep stirring as the stock thickens and then add the rest of the stock and the carrots.
- Return to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take the lid off, add the peas and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.